SCREEN PRINTING IN TAMPA
T-Shirt Screen Printing is the process of decorating a material with a stenciled design by forcing ink through a mesh screen, transferring the design from the screen onto the material. Traditionally the design stencils were hand cut or painted, but today the screens are coated with a photo emulsion which creates a negative image from the design transparency when exposed to UV light. The term “silk-screening” comes from the silk mesh that was originally used on the screens, but today’s screens use a polyester mesh on a wooden or aluminum frame. Each color is printed one-at-a-time from a separate screen, either by a person holding a squeegee in the case of a manual printing press, or by a machine which pulls the squeegee in the case of an automatic printing press.
Pricing is based on the number of colors in your design. Screen printing on dark colored items is more expensive because it requires a white underbase in most cases.
General Screen Printing Information
- Turnaround – Orders are usually completed with in two (2) weeks or less.
- Rush Service – Need it yesterday? Well, we can’t get it done yesterday but we do offer a rush service. Please call us for details.
- Payment Policy – For all new customers, we require a 50% deposit at the time the order is placed, and the balance upon completion. Other terms may be available for repeat customers at our discretion. Acceptable methods of payment are Cash, Check (No third party or post-dated checks please!), Mastercard or Visa. In some cases we will accept a purchase order or hold a credit card number in lieu of a deposit. We reserve the right to request payment in full up front.
- Pick-up and Shipping – Pick up your order at our office in Largo, FL between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:30 PM Monday through Friday. We do not deliver. You can arrange for a courier, or we can ship the order at your expense.
- Price Quotes – Please us our online quote form.
- Contract T-Shirt Screen Printing or Embroidery means that you, the customer supply us with the items to be printed or embroidered. It’s your responsibility to count and inspect any and all garments before and after they are decorated. We make every effort to return your garments in the condition that they were given to us. However, Forty Millimeter will not be held responsible for damage to garments which are not purchased from us. We do not replace garments or provide compensation in the unlikely event of a shortage for any reason. If you need an exact amount, you may wish to provide a few extra items to be safe. Learn more about Contract Screen Printing
Artwork for Screen Printing
- General Information – Artwork can be 4 color process (CMYK), Simulated 4 Color Process, or up to 12 spot colors. Our in-house artists can work with your own design or create one for you from scratch.
- Art Fees – We charge $20 per hour ($10 minimum) for artwork design or design editing. This does not include the screen set-up fee.
- Vector Graphics – This is the preferred electronic format. We use CorelDraw, and Adobe Illustrator and accept the following file types: CDR, AI, EPS, PSD. Files can be submitted on a CD/DVD disk, or by email to info [at] fortymminc.com. Fonts must be converted to curves/outlines or we may not be able to open the file.
- Bitmap Graphics – We use Adobe Photoshop. Bitmap files should have a resolution of at least 300dpi at actual size. We accept the following file types for single color designs: PSD, TIF, BMP. We also accept full color designs in Photoshop format. Spot color bitmaps should be saved as PSD files with each color on a separate layer. Because of the size of these files it’s recommend that they be submitted on CD/DVD disks. If you must email large files, please use zip compression and send to info [at] fortymminc.com
- Color Matching – We offer a wide range of stock ink colors to choose from. We will mix custom colors or match Pantone PMS colors. Please call for a quote
- Halftones – Halftones are printed at 45lpi – 65lpi.
State of the Art Screen Printing & Embroidery Equipment:
- 2019 1 – 14/16 MHM S-Type Xtreme Automatic
- 2019 1 – 10/12 MHM S-Type Xtreme Automatic
- 2018 1 – M&R Sprint 3000 Gas Dryer
- 2019 1 – 6 Head Commercial Embroidery Machine
- 2015 1 – 4 Head Commercial Embroidery Machine
- 2015 1 – 1 Head Commercial Embroidery Machine
- 2017 Graphtec CE6000-60 Cutter/Plotter
- 2017 16×20 Heat Press
Let our T-Shirt Lab create your next masterpiece.
Screen Printing FAQ’s
Can I Tour Your Facility?
Of course! We have a great facility, and a very friendly staff. We’d love to have you come by. Check out the Contact page for our phone number and address, then give us a call to schedule your own personal tour! Maybe we’ll even let you print a shirt of your own?
When will I receive my order?
We know how important it is to receive your shirts in time for your group’s event, and that’s why we always provide a guaranteed delivery date for your order.
Two-Week Standard Delivery
Standard delivery is guaranteed to be completed within 7-10 business days!
Rush Delivery is available but there are additional fees. Please call us at 727-581-4066 to discuss your order.
All standard orders are on a first-come, first-serve basis, and they can expect delivery in 2 weeks. However, if you’d like your order in less than 2 weeks, we can almost always make it happen for you. To make this happen, we often have to pay our people overtime, expedite shipping from our providers, and re-work our production schedule to give you priority. Because of that, we do require a $75 rush fee.
These shipping times reflect shipment within the contiguous 48 United States.
How many do I have to order?
From just 12 to thousands, Forty Millimeter can print as many items as you need for your unique cause, occasion or business!
Screen printing or embroidery have different minimums.
- Screen printing: Minimum quantity is 12 for light colored shirts with a 1 color design, 24 for dark colored shirts with a 1 color design. (If your design contains more colors, higher minimums will apply.)
Can I Preview My Design Before Printing?
Yes! We provide you with a digital mockup/proof (on request) of each design we make. And, if you want to make any changes, we’ll provide you with another digital mockup.
What Print Locations Can I Choose From?
The short answer is: almost anywhere. The long answer is there are some locations that require a special setup or type of ink. For those, an extra fee may be added.
Here are the standard locations that do NOT require an extra fee:
Back TagSome other locations that may require an extra fee:
Off the collar
Off the bottom
Printing on the inside
What other factors affect my pricing?
- Type: The brands we carry vary in price, but we use our purchasing power to get you the best possible deal on blank apparel. We buy all over the country and do so in large quantities. Then we transfer those savings to our customers.
- Quantity: Our printing process dictates that if you order a greater quantity of shirts, you’ll save money. It’s simply less expensive for us to set up and print a large number of the same design than it is to set up and print a small number of a single design.
- Colors: The process of screen printing requires us to make a separate screen for every color in your design. The fewer colors in your design, the less expensive producing the design becomes for us and for customers.
- Locations: Each printing location on a piece of apparel (i.e. front, back, sleeve, etc.) demands a specific set-up in order to execute. Therefore, multiple printing locations on your apparel will raise the price.
- Other factors that can affect your overall pricing include:
- The color of shirts.
- Sizes 2XL and above are more expensive
- Adding individual player names and numbers will increase the cost of your shirts as well.
How is the price calculated?
What types of garments are ordered, the number of garments you order with the same design, the number of colors in your design, the amount and locations of printing on the garment. In general, the more colors in the print and the more locations you want printed, the higher the cost per shirt.
How Do I get a Quote?
Simply click here to a Get Quote and enter in your quantities.
How can I lower the cost of my order?
- Print on white shirts: White t-shirts are the most popular for orders, so supply and demand dictates that stocking them is less expensive for us, and therefore, also for the customer. Additionally, most cotton garments start out essentially white, so dying them any other color makes them more expensive.
- Use fewer design colors: The screen printing process requires us to make a separate screen for each color in your design. The less screens we have to make, the less expensive it is to print your apparel.
- Increase order size: The more shirts of the same design that you order, the less expensive it is to produce them. Since each color and each printing location means a new screen set up; dividing this cost among many shirts rather than just one or a few means savings per unit for you.
- Decrease printing locations: Simply put, the fewer screens that have to set up for one apparel order, the less expensive that apparel will be for the customer. Each printing location on a garment requires separate screen set up, so printing just on the front of a shirt versus printing on the front and back will reduce your overall cost.
How is price calculated?
Prices are determined by which garments are ordered, the number of garments you order with the same design, the number of colors in your design, and the number of printing locations on the garment.